View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Senior Attorney - NY Insurance Counsel
in Remote / Portland OR / NY
What You’ll Do
You will be the primary attorney on the Legal and Compliance team providing legal support to The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York (“SNY”). In this role you will act as a true
business partner by supporting the development and ongoing sale of insurance products, analyzing and providing advice on laws and regulations impacting life and disability insurers, and advising on complicated business issues.
In addition to advising
SNY, you will provide similar support to The Standard’s entities selling group and individual life and disability insurance products outside the State of New York.
- Primary attorney advising The
Standard Life Insurance Company of New York on life and disability insurance-related issues.
- Work closely with business units and Compliance to develop or update life and disability-related products, including forms, plan documents, letters, etc.
- Assist with annual regulatory filings for domestic insurance companies.
- Draft documents and/or provide advice relating to inter-company transactions.
- Draft, analyze and review contracts to minimize legal risk and maximize
- Analyze developments in laws and regulations impacting life and disability insurers and provide proactive updates to impacted business units.
- Review and negotiate Service Agreements, Master Agreements and Plan
- Assist with responses to audits/market conduct exams conducted by New York State’s Department of Financial Services and other State/Federal agencies.
- Provide legal advice to the company’s Privacy Officer and others on
compliance with privacy and data security laws.
- Participate in industry groups and calls.
- Exhibit good business acumen and familiarity with the market and regulatory landscape affecting NY domestic insurance companies.
- Act as a
trusted partner by effectively formulating potential risks and outcomes, demonstrating holistic understanding of business goals and risks.
- Efficiently formulate accurate, comprehensive advice understandable and digestible by lay
- Consistently demonstrate understanding of and motivation to achieve business goals in a legally defensible manner.
The Skills and Background You’ll Need
- Education: Doctor of
- Bar Admission: Admitted or eligible for admission to practice in State of Oregon. New York Bar Admission Required.
- Minimum of six years of experience advising on NY insurance legal and regulatory compliance regarding:
producer compensation, rebating, joint advertising with affiliates licensed outside NY, value-added services, third party service provider cybersecurity assessments, ERM/ORSA reporting, and holding company filings.
- Knowledge of insurance laws
governing group life and disability insurance products outside of New York. Knowledge of individual disability insurance products preferred.
- Experience advising on privacy/security incidents.
- Demonstrated history of working closely
with internal business partners as a strategic partner to identify and prioritize business needs and assess and communicate risk.
- Experience in providing advice throughout product lifecycle.
- Strong communications skills, including ability
to produce clear, concise, complete and persuasive work product, and active listening and persuasive advising.
- Ability to deliver successful presentations to internal and external audiences.
What You'll Get From
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An engaging and inclusive work environment
- A performance driven culture with respect for people
How to Apply
View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Manage This Listing (employer only)