View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Senior Business Advisor, Retirement Specialist
in Minneapolis MN / East Lansing MI
This position is responsible for managing existing commercial relationships and developing new opportunities with a primary focus on retirement relationships. Senior Business Advisors deliver comprehensive
financial advice to Alerus business clients by serving as their trusted primary point of contact. All Senior Business Advisors assist clients in their selection of Alerus products by recommending appropriate Alerus solutions to ensure the client
successfully achieves their financial wellness goals. Senior Business Advisors are expected to focus their time on developing new business with existing clients 50% and new clients 50%, approximately.
Job Function 1: New Business & Client Development - 50%
- Proactively solicit new business opportunities with existing retirement clients through the relationship review process including opportunities
identified by CRM software.
- Deliver solutions utilizing the steps in the Sandler process.
- Place calls to prospective clients to discuss their financial needs and objectives by making outside sales calls, channel contacts, and through other
forms of network building.
- Actively represent Alerus in the marketplace by establishing a network of influencers, active involvement in community organizations (i.e. Chamber, Rotary, etc.) and participation in networking
- Utilize CRM software to track new opportunities and schedule prospecting follow-up communication.
Job Function 2: Client Consultation & Service - 40%
- Effectively manage,
analyze, and grow a portfolio of business clients to provide knowledgeable advanced solutions by delivering a high level of financial product expertise and support.
- Assist portfolio of business clients in identifying and selecting treasury
management, lending 401(k) plans, ESOP, health and welfare, payroll, wealth management, insurance and other products and financial services by serving as the primary point of contact.
- Learn client’s financial objectives and provide
comprehensive financial guidance and planning utilizing the complete set of Alerus solutions.
- Perform regular proactive relationship reviews based on complexity and product or service level on assigned portfolio.
- Evaluate a client’s
business financial needs to determine and engage the appropriate service team to meet those needs including financial advisors, financial associates and product experts.
- Update CRM software to capture client activity, schedule required follow-up
actions, and effectively onboard clients.
- Serve business clients’ financial needs holistically across all Alerus solutions.
- Work with a team of associates to ensure an excellent client experience.
- Proactively employ/share
technical knowledge of and experience with ERISA and retirement plan industry with clients and colleagues.
- Be an experienced source of information and guidance to peers, member of the client service team and other ARB staff.
- Apply advanced
investment knowledge including understanding of markets, basic economic data, asset classes, models, CIFS and target date funds.
- Be able to prepare and deliver non fiduciary and fiduciary level review; model and share investment knowledge with team
- Employ and share knowledge regarding fiduciary responsibilities and best practices to peers, plan sponsors and investment committees.
- Proactively demonstrate ability to engage and interact with varying audience types including plan
participants, plan sponsors, investment committees, and peer groups.
- Display ability to present fluidly in any presentation context, especially RFP/Resale scenarios.
- Produce and review annual service plan data with client.
retention fee analysis and recommend fee changes.
- Maintain ongoing communication with client influencers/decision makers to understand their goals/objectives and identify service concerns. Proactively and consistently present Alerus value
Job Function 3: Professional & Personal Development - 10%
- Maintain an expert level of knowledge encompassing the retirement services industry, stay current on trends that impact
Alerus’ relevancy in its competitive space.
- Maintain an understanding of complex financial planning concepts including credit, depository products, investments, balance sheet management, protection planning, business planning, and liquidity
- Maintain an understanding and knowledge of estate planning, charitable giving, trusts, and tax management.
- Assume responsibility for career growth and development. Actively pursue continuing education, reading, and
self-development to enhance skills.
- Build solid working relationships with team members, acting as an expert resource for others, acting as a coach/mentor in the professional development of personal financial guides, business advisors, and
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance or related field or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum 7 years of financial
- Minimum 5 years related experience in retirement plan recordkeeping/administration with knowledge of IRS and Department of Labor regulations.
- Professional designation related to the qualified plan industry required,
i.e. QKA, CPC, RSA, etc.
- Possess professional financial services accreditation(s) or equivalent advanced professional training i.e. CFP, CFA, CPA, CWS, MBA, ABA Commercial Lending School.
- Demonstrated expertise in assessing a client’s
financial needs and making proactive recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver solutions in a team based approach.
- Previous experience utilizing CRM software to track and manage sales opportunities.
- Demonstrated record of
proven sales ability and client service abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to present to business leaders and executives.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Established interpersonal and negotiating
- Advanced math proficiency.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated initiative, creativity and enthusiasm to develop sales strategy, prospects and client
- Effective communication skills and willingness to work with a team.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple phases of the sales process.
- Passionate about serving clients to
positively impact their financial wellness.
- Proven problem-solver.
- Ability to manage the stressful nature of the work and maintain professional composure, attitude, and behavior at all events.
Physical Demands - Must be
met with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Extended periods of time at a desk and using office equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer/laptop for approximately 8 hours per day.
- Extended time is spent
reviewing physical and electronic documents.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close
- Periodically, may also do light lifting of supplies and materials which weighs in at approximately 20 lbs.
- Will spend most of time in an indoor environment.
- Ability to travel as needed to other markets and
Alerus Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply
This job is available in two locations.
For the Minneapolis, MN position: apply here
For the East Lansing, MI position: apply here
View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Manage This Listing (employer only)