Manager, Actuarial Services Group
University of California Office of the President
in Oakland CA
Organizational Area: Human Resources - Retirement Programs & Services
Posting Salary: Salary commensurate with experience.
Collaborates with the Executive
Director-Retirement Programs & Services, the Director of the RASC, and the Retirement Policy Manager in providing support for strategic leadership in the development and reporting of retirement and retiree medical programs and related policies
system-wide. Having wide-ranging experience, uses professional concepts and program objectives to resolve complex issues with system-wide impact in creative and effective ways. Coordinates all actuarial deliverables for various parties and in support of
the RASC, works on complex issues with little or no precedent where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Is
considered a subject matter expert and consults with and represents unit/management position to faculty, unions and other interested constituents. Erroneous decisions will have a serious impact on the overall success of department.
Conditions of Employment:
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this critical position.
- In support of the UCRS Plan Administrator, coordinates the preparation and
review of the annual actuarial valuations for UCRP and each of its four segments, the PERS Plus 5 Plan, and the Retiree Health Program. Coordinates the preparation of annual Regents item summarizing the valuation results. Oversees various other actuarial
and financial studies and analyses, including the UCRP Experience Study. Prepares actuarial and financial calculations and analyses for Retirement Programs & Services, the Retirement Administration Service Center, Labor Relations and other units as
- Independently, or in conjunction with consultants and actuaries, performs highly complex financial or resource research and studies for both internal department and external constituents. Directs, initiates, designs and provides
analytical studies, summary reports and background materials for administrative officers on proposed policies that impact plan participants, policy design and budget management. Ensures compliance with IRC Section 415(b) and provides technical support for
the 415(m) Restoration Plan. Resolves issues involving transfer of data from the previous pension administration system to the current system.
- Assists in oversight of ongoing retirement and retiree medical programs and policy improvement and leads
processes to assure transparency and accountability in the adoption and administration of retirement program policy and retiree medical program policy. Participates in collaborative coalitions to proactively address key retirement and retiree medical
programs and policies and legislative/regulatory issues. Ensures that all retirement and retiree medical programs and policies are compliant with all pertinent laws, regulations and contractual obligations.
- Independently represents the University
and interact with external parties such as attorneys, consultants, and professional organizations. Manages the consultation process with various University-wide groups including the Faculty Welfare Committee, UCRS Advisory Board, Benefits Managers,
Academic Personnel Coordinators, Labor Relations, CUCRA, CUCEA, and Retiree Health Benefits Task Force. Consults with HR professionals, UC management, and the Office of General Counsel to establish and maintain essential and effective retirement policies
and practices. Coordinates with UCOP Labor Relations Negotiators during labor contract negotiations in fulfillment of information and consultation needs in support of the University bargaining process.
- Hires, coaches, and trains lower level
retirement benefit actuarial analysts, providing regular performance feedback, evaluations, performance counseling or disciplinary action, and recognition and acknowledgement of individual and team efforts and
- Bachelor's degree in a related area.
- In-depth knowledge regarding design of retirement and health and welfare
- Extensive knowledge of financial analysis, underwriting and actuarial principles, benchmarking, and strategic aspects of program design.
- Ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner, verbally and in
- Client services oriented, has good listening, critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skilled in conflict
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to effectively lead, motivate and influence others and develop and maintain high standards of customer service.
- Excellent ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify
multiple options for resolution.
- Excellent ability to negotiate, influence, and provide rationale for sought direction of the program with both UC constituents and in bringing vendor activities to best outcome for UC.
- Skilled in use of
Microsoft Office and common desktop /web applications.
- Graduate degree in related area.
- Designation as an Enrolled Actuary (EA) or Associate of the Society of Actuaries
- Knowledge of policies and practices in financial, employee and labor relations, and UC business areas; i.e., to apply and consider in program development.
- A clear understanding of UC budgetary, political and employee relations
- Knowledge regarding the University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP)
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is
dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the corporate headquarters to the ten campuses, five medical centers and three Department of Energy National Labs and enrolls premier
students from California, the nation and the world.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1594438
Manage This Listing (employer only)