Air Line Pilots Association
in Herndon VA
Job ID: 2019-0016
Positions Type: 1
Category: Insurance/Benefits/Pension/Retirement - Benefits Attorney
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest
airline pilot union in the world (representing over 62,000 pilots at 34 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks a Benefits Attorney for our headquarters in Tysons, Virginia. The Benefits Attorney represents ALPA's interests in a broad range
of employee benefits matters. S/he is responsible for providing legal advice with respect to the pilot employee benefit plans negotiated by ALPA, including qualified defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, nonqualified deferred compensation
plans, welfare benefit plans, and other employee fringe benefit plans.
Local, national, and international travel: 10%-30%.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an approved school of law required.
- Member in good standing of the Bar.
- Five (5) years of related experience. At management discretion, a Master
of Law (LLM) or significant labor experience may be substituted for some years of experience.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to demonstrate confidence and executive presence in business transactions.
- Ability to
work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to organize and coordinate long-term projects.
- Ability to use independent judgment to formulate decisions and/or solve problems under time pressure and urgent conditions.
- Ability to
work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines, and management projects in an ever-changing environment.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience using online legal research, Westlaw, or the equivalent, preferred.
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential
functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to
maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and
move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and, infrequently, internationally). Also includes occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be
Relocation Not Provided
How to Apply
This ad has been viewed 611 times.
It expires on 9/2/2019.