Counsel - ERISA & CIT Matters
in Buffalo NY / DE
Job Title: Counsel – Retirement & Institutional Custody Services Attorney for ERISA & CIT Matters
The successful candidate will be located in (i) Buffalo, New York, (ii) New York City, or (iii) Wilmington, Delaware, and will support Wilmington Trust’s Retirement and Institutional Custody Services
Division’s retirement plan services (RPS) and collective investment trust (CIT) businesses.
RPS support includes matters relating to Wilmington Trust’s roles as trustee, custodian, or paying agent, and/or ERISA 3(21) investment advisor or
ERISA 3(38) investment manager for 401(k) and other tax-qualified retirement plans of clients and working with clients on rabbi trusts for funding non-qualified deferred compensation plans and arrangements.
CIT support includes matters relating
to eligibility and investment questions, applications for IRS determination letters of tax-exempt status, securities and commodities law exemptions and state blue sky compliance matters, and negotiation and drafting of agreements with investment
sub-advisers, insurance companies, trading platforms, custodians, transfer agents and administrative service providers for the funds. Also included are supporting Wilmington Trust’s roles as custodian, transfer agent, and administrative service
provider for collective investment funds trusteed by other banks.
The ideal candidate also would be familiar with IRAs and able to support enterprise-wide IRA matters.
- Serving as one of two legal advisers providing ongoing day-to-day legal advice and support for the RPS and CIT businesses
- Negotiating and drafting customer agreements for services offered by the businesses
evaluating and escalating legal and regulatory risks affecting the businesses
- Overseeing external counsel used to support the businesses
- Providing legal support for special projects, such as reviewing, rationalizing, and updating template
contracts and administrative forms used by the businesses
- Partnering with the organization’s compliance, risk and audit groups on business matters
- Providing legal analysis of new business opportunities and new service
- Developing and implementing strategic policies and procedures for the legal support of the businesses
- Providing legal support to the businesses for enterprise-wide projects and matters
- Keeping senior management and other
personnel up to date on pertinent legal and regulatory developments, including legal risks
Education and Experience Required:
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- At least four
years previous experience as an attorney or other relevant experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience advising financial services firms on ERISA and CIT
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities, and prioritize work in a deadline-intensive environment; experience in leading and facilitating change
- Ability to understand and integrate details of
business/operational/systemic environment in applying legal and policy requirements
- Experience advising on transactions involving plan assets subject to ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code
- Experience identifying, evaluating and escalating
legal risk issues
- Strong communication skills to deal with internal and external constituencies, including senior business leaders; external counsel; regulatory officials; risk, compliance and audit counterparts at the organization; counterparts at
other companies; and industry representatives
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; ability to communicate and relate at all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills and ability to influence
- Demonstrated experience in leading others, both through direct relationships and/or indirectly (influencing without direct authority)
At M&T Bank, we
understand what's important when you're considering a career. M&T strives to be the best company our employees ever work for, the best bank our customers ever do business with, and the best investment our shareholders ever make.
features of our culture are our:
- Heritage of strength and stability
- Exceptional and long-tenured employees
- Focus on long-term client relationships
- Commitment to the communities we serve
- Commitment to our
When applying for a job at M&T Bank, candidates are required to complete a candidate profile.
If you require an accommodation to create a candidate profile, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
M&T Bank Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
M&T Bank Corporation does not sponsor individuals for the purpose of obtaining H-1
M&T Bank Corporation has policies and procedures in place to promote a drug free workplace.
How to Apply
To apply, please use this link.
This ad has been viewed 652 times.
It expires on 7/28/2019.