Compensation and Workforce Planning Manager
George Mason University
in Fairfax VA
Compensation and Workforce Planning Manager
The George Mason University, Human Resources & Payroll Department is looking for an experienced and energetic Compensation and Workforce Planning Manager.
Reporting to the Vice
President of Payroll, the Compensation and Workforce Planning Manager will support and advance HR's role as a strategic business partner and align the needs and priorities of the university with its talent to drive the university's objectives. This
individual will be responsible for leading the workforce planning team in developing and implementing compensation policies and procedures to be responsive to university goals and competitive practices while building and fostering cross functional and
interdepartmental alliances. This position will administer university compensation programs in compliance with university policies, federal and state regulations affecting pay, through strong analytical skills and knowledge of compensation theory,
including market data. The Compensation and Workforce Planning Manager will also oversee the classified and administrative / professional faculty annual performance evaluation process. Working with decision-makers, the Compensation and Workforce Planning
Manager helps the university develop strategic workforce plans and takes a long-range view of the university's business objectives and existing talent needs by providing university-wide metrics and analytics to support strategic initiatives. This
position also oversees the management of the Human Resources & Payroll budget.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages
candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Administer compensation / classification and workforce planning programs by providing advice and support to HR
leadership, university leaders, directors, and supervisors.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the University's strategy and execution of compensation and workforce planning programs and initiatives.
administer, and maintain a university workforce-planning program, including but not limited to internal mobility.
- Conduct organizational assessments at the request of department heads and provide recommendations to achieve unit goals, including
reorganizations and identifying required capability and capacity needs on a short and long-term basis.
- Compile complex data and metrics that include:
- compile monthly workforce census and demographics; average salary by job type or
department; performance evaluation statistics by department yearly; turnover and classification and compensation transaction audits and other ad hoc reports as requested.
- provide leaders / managers with easy-to-use reports and tools to determine
the impact of their talent decisions and prioritize future workforce investments, and metrics to identify talent risk before it impacts university objectives.
- Collaborate with all areas of HR / Payroll, including but not limited to
Talent Acquisition, HRIS, and Employee Relations to effectively execute workforce planning objectives.
- Collaborate with all areas of the university community, including but not limited to senior leaders, Provost Office, Deans / Directors, and
faculty / staff.
- Create and provide communication and training on workforce planning topics.
- Provide functional expertise in the implementation of Banner upgrades and any other software that impact positions, compensation or
- Collaborate with the Administrative Data Mart Stakeholder group, Budget Office and HRIS team to improve reporting accuracy and capabilities.
- Maintain, monitor and recommend changes to the HR & Payroll Budget. Reconcile
expenditures to posted transactions on a monthly basis.
- Represent the department at decentralized Budget group meetings. Provide ad hoc reports and analysis of budget changes.
- Maintain an awareness of strategic Human Resource initiatives
that affect budget.
- Manage annual budget requests (BUDS) for department.
- Master's degree in HR, Business Administration or other relevant field or training and work experience at
a level that equates to an advanced degree is required.
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills, with focus on results
- Detail oriented, well organized with strong time and project management skills
- Ability to
make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Ability to build effective, influential partnerships with executive level leadership as well as strong relationship building skills with all levels of
- Ability to take initiative, be accountable for individual and team results, and motivate self and others to set and achieve very high-performance standards.
- Advanced skills in Excel, Access and Word, HRIS software and
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and work on multiple tasks and duties.
- Knowledge of the legal environment surrounding compensation including FLSA, leave policies, equal pay, Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act,
- Knowledge of OFCCP, AAP, and EEOC compliance regulations.
- Supervisory experience.
- 5 to 10 years of HR experience in a large complex organization, preferably in higher
education or other public institution.
- Banner experience preferred.
- Advanced professional certification preferred (CCP, CBP, CEP, or PHR).
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer,
committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran
status, or any characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA09Dz at https://jobs.gmu.edu; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter,
resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
This ad has been viewed 875 times.
It expires on 6/8/2019.