Senior Consultant, Compliance - Retirement
The Segal Group
in San Francisco CA
For nearly 80 years, Segal has been providing employee benefits, retirement plan investment advisory and human resources consulting for multiemployer trust funds,
corporations and public sector organizations. Segal is an independent, privately and employee-owned firm. Our independence allows us to provide unbiased consulting services for our clients. Headquartered in New York City, Segal has offices throughout the
United States and in Canada. We are a smaller organization that provides a more intense and broader exposure for development purposes within a culture that is highly collegial and team-oriented. You will work with colleagues who are smart, professional,
talented and...nice people. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package that includes a defined benefit and matching 401(k) retirement plans.
Senior Consultant, Compliance - Retirement –
We seek a Senior Consultant to join the West Region Compliance-Retirement team in San Francisco, CA. This position will report to Tom McDonough, Vice President and Manager Compliance -
The Senior Consultant demonstrates professional credibility by providing expertise and advice to colleagues and clients that is strategic, complex and creative, if not innovative and; takes deliberate steps to
expand knowledge in own practice area and contribute to practice development and quality improvement initiatives. The Senior Consultant has significant and influential client contact at multiple levels and, supports profitability growth within the Region
and Company. Success in the role requires ability to collaborate with the Practice Leader, Regional Client Relations Managers (CRMs), Compliance Consultant colleagues, Actuaries and other Segal team members to support and/or lead the delivery of defined
benefit and defined contribution plan retirement compliance services to clients located, predominantly, in the West Region.
Compliance services include drafting and reviewing plan amendments;
participant communications such as Summary Plan Documents (SPDs) and related plan documents; performing compliance reviews of retirement plans, and/or plan administration procedures. Key responsibilities include, but may not be limited
- Monitoring the legal and regulatory environment affecting retirement plans in collaboration with Segal’s National Retirement Compliance team.
- Serving as an expert compliance resource to regional CRMs, external clients and
others at Segal on the myriad of questions and issue pertaining to retirement plan compliance and; applying in-depth understanding of relevant employee benefits laws to client situations, inquiries and document preparation.
- Drafting and
reviewing compliance related materials.
- Reviewing and preparing response letters related to defined benefit plan calculations.
- Attending client meetings to make technical compliance-related presentations to include informing clients about
new legislative developments when necessary.
- Managing projects that include project planning and guiding project team members to include mentoring and developing subordinate staff.
- J.D. from
an accredited law school
- Minimum of 10 years of consulting and/or otherwise advising in relevant pension plan compliance issues within a professional services oriented environment.
- Knowledge of all or a combination of single and
multiemployer (union) and public sector retirement plans to include ERISA and related legislation and regulations
- Demonstrated research and analysis skills as required to keep abreast of and inform on marketplace developments in retirement plan
compliance and regulatory issues.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to include technical drafting, strong attention to detail, ability to analyze and distill complex data/concepts and develop clear, concise explanations for a
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship-building skills and ability to collaborate with and positively influence others
Diversity Inclusion at Segal:
At Segal, we are committed to a
culture of diversity and inclusiveness, as demonstrated through our recruitment, retention and employee development programs. We maintain an environment that respects and builds on the assets and talents of each person, valuing their differences. We also
engage in good faith efforts to maintain an environment free from discrimination and harassment in strict compliance with applicable laws, and consider all qualified candidates for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, national origin, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or medical condition, protected veteran or military status, criminal record history, marital status, or status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state
or local law. We also engage in affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and protected veterans. Maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce is a win/win, and provides Segal with the
opportunity to leverage our top talent to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome you to voluntarily self-identify (i.e., Ethnicity, Disabled, Veteran status):
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please apply online using this link.
This ad has been viewed 1012 times.
It expires on 5/4/2019.