Pacific Maritime Association
in San Francisco CA
Under the general direction of the Vice President and the Associate Director of the ILWU-PMA Contract Benefits, the Benefits Manager assists in the administration of all collectively bargained employee benefits to ensure Plans are administered in
accordance with the terms of their respective Plan Agreements and Collective Bargaining Agreements. This position will have direct responsibility for Welfare Plan Claims Review and will assist in the oversight of the 401(k) Plan administration Using
his or her analytical skills, the Benefits Manager will work in a team environment assisting in developing strategies relative to the broad array of retirement, health and welfare and similar programs funded and administered by the Association and some of
which are jointly administered by the various unions with which it negotiates.
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Review benefit claims appeals; identify trends and plan administration
issues and formulate solutions; work with internal and external legal counsel to assist with benefit claims arbitrations.
- Assist in all aspects of the 401(k) Plan administration, including ensuring compliance with the Plan Agreements; preparation
of and participation in quarterly 401(k) committee meetings; management of the 401(k) plan recordkeeper and its other vendors; ensuring the year-end employer contribution is made; assistance with the annual plan audit; performing the non-discrimination
testing; coordinating updates to the 401(k) Plan SPD and assist with participant communications.
- Prepare for and participate in Trustees and Benefit Subcommittee meetings.
- Working with outside consultants and actuaries, assist with the
preparation of comprehensive analytic reports which identify cost drivers, improvement opportunities and actions to manage healthcare benefit costs.
- Support the development of bargaining proposals for benefits and analyze union demands; obtain and
prepare cost data for proposals and demands.
- Assist with the implementation and the communication of all the benefit plans.
- Perform specific data analytic projects.
- Assure compliance with provisions of Employee Retiree Income
Security and the Affordable Care Act.
- Other assigned duties.
- Note: Duties and responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Business Acumen - Union
- Critical Evaluation
- Cultural Awareness
- Relationship Management
- Ethical Practice
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of a BA or BS in Business, Accounting, Human Resources, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance or related field required.
- At least 5
years of demonstrated success in health and retirement benefits administration.
- Knowledge of ERISA Plans, health care delivery systems, claims processing, health and welfare plan designs, vendor selection, discrimination testing, asset/liability
mix studies and investment consulting.
- 401(k) Plan knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) or Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) preferred.
- Experience working with a
high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be a persuasive, credible and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills and exceptional
attention to details.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion, especially with regards to sensitive and confidential organizational matters.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook,
PowerPoint and Access). Ability to use software tools to present data clearly and concisely.
Some in-country travel may be required.
The work environment is
that of a formal office setting and can be hectic at times, particularly when meeting deadlines. The office is located in downtown San Francisco within easy walking distance of public transportation and the retail center of the city.
How to Apply
Apply online using this link.
This ad has been viewed 1587 times.
It expires on 4/13/2019.