HCS Senior Staff Attorney
UNC Health Care
in Chapel Hill NC
JOB DESCRIPTION: ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL (EMPLOYMENT / BENEFITS LAW)
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
This senior staff attorney position reports to the General Counsel but will be working primarily with and in support of
the Associate General Counsel responsible for employment related matters for the UNC Health Care System (“UNCHCS”). In this in-house counsel role, the attorney will be responsible for providing legal advice and services in support of the
operations of UNCHCS and its affiliated hospitals and entities. Attorney will also be expected to become familiar with and handle common legal issues that arise in the health care setting and assist with day-to-day issues, as needed, but UNCHCS
is especially interested in benefits expertise, along with general employment law experience.
Responsibilities may include:
- Advice and assistance on benefits and tax related legal issues. Benefits issues may include matters
related to the sponsorship and administration of self-funded and fully-insured health and welfare plans (both ERISA and non-ERISA plans); compliance, design and implementation of both qualified and non-qualified retirement plans; and various executive
compensation and benefits issues, including related tax issues, etc.
- Advising UNCHCS and affiliates on employment related matters and compliance, including discrimination claims, disability issues and related accommodations, leave of absence
management issues, wage and hour issues, compliance with applicable state and federal labor and employment laws and regulations, and disciplinary actions. This will include issues involving employees of both public and private entities.
with investigations and preparing and/or reviewing responses to employment related charges filed with state or federal agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Department of Labor. Strong writing skills and experience with
legal research are required.
- Drafting various employment-related contracts, including employment agreements, separation agreements, consulting agreements, repayment agreements, and various special benefits agreements.
- Developing and
reviewing policies and procedures for human resources and other employment related issues, as well as offering training and education.
- Assisting as needed with routine legal issues in a hospital and health care setting (contract reviews, patient
- Applicants must possess a degree from an accredited law school, strong academic credentials, and be licensed to practice law in North Carolinaor be able to obtain a valid NC license to
practice law within a year of hire.
- The successful applicant must have a minimum of five years of relevant experience in employment law.
- Experience in benefits law and discrimination law strongly preferred.
- Some experience in a
hospital setting, health care environment, or a law firm, where the applicant’s practice has included work with healthcare clients and/or work on health law related issues, is helpful but not required.
- Experience working with academic medical
centers, non-profit and/or public entities also helpful but not required.
How to Apply
Apply online here!
This ad has been viewed 721 times.
It expires on 10/29/2018.