Member Services Representative
DC Retirement Board
in Washington DC
ABOUT THE D.C. RETIREMENT BOARD
The District of Columbia Retirement Board is an independent
agency of the District of Columbia Government. Our mission is to manage and control the assets of the D.C. Police Officers' and Firefighters' Retirement Plan and the D.C. Teachers' Retirement Plans as well as to administer benefits for
the members of the plans.
The Member Services Representative acts as the primary DCRB point of contact for our members, providers and other key stakeholders focusing on exceptional customer satisfaction and
first call resolution. This position interacts with members to provide information and troubleshoot complex issues in response to inquiries about coverage, benefits, and services. This position also handles and resolves member complaints. The
representative will respond to inquiries from both active and retired members, survivors, beneficiaries, and others. The Member Services Representative will communicate and interact with members in a variety of ways, and on a daily basis.
Interactions may be in person, on the telephone, through electronic means, and through written correspondence. Other duties include ensuring that member documentation is available to members who visit the office, scanning incoming mail and personnel
document into FileNet, and helping members to utilize DCRB’s website. The Member Services Representative also completes call logs to record customer interactions and transactions, and records details of inquiries, complaints, and comments, as well as
- Analyze member retirement issues and provide problem resolution to active and retired members, survivors, beneficiaries, and others.
- Interpret Summary Plan provisions and
department policies to respond to telephone, fax, and electronic inquiries from active and retired members, survivors, beneficiaries, and others.
- Research required information using available resources and triage when necessary. Responsible for
navigating multiple systems applications such as Excel logs, STAR, Access databases, FileNet, and PeopleSoft in order to resolve customer issues.
- Complete participant transactions as required using internet applications or manual procedures as
required, including tax updates, health care changes, direct deposit changes, change of addresses, contact updates, Power of Attorney updates, notification of deaths, and other member changes related to their annuity.
- Properly distribute DCRB forms
and ensure the forms are available to members via fax or email. Additional assistance communicating to members and providing instructions on how to access forms by using the DCRB web site.
- Capture and document member feedback;
receives, resolves, and routes complaints as defined by Department policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Draft original member correspondence related to the specific issue of the member.
- Learn and maintain current knowledge of the defined
benefit retirement plan provisions and administration systems, how to retrieve and interpret participant account and plan data as well as other existing applications.
- Set-up and operate equipment that supports prepping and scanning. Preparation
includes: receiving loose paper, sorting, identifying types of documents, pulling staples, removing paper clips, etc.
- Open and sort mail, scans and keys information into database for distribution. Conducts research in filing system, pulls files,
etc. Responsible for quality control of scanned documents
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of how to process claims submitted by members for benefits, including voluntary
retirement, disability retirement, discontinued service, and other reduction-in-force provisions (specific to Teachers).
- Knowledge of the conditions required for reinstatement of insurance, conversion of life insurance, basic features of programs,
and options associated with retirement e.g., cost, coverage, and time limits for filing.
- Knowledge of the preparation and submission of retirement applications.
- Knowledge of survivor benefits, purchases of service, refunds/redeposit, and
other current and emerging provisions.
- Knowledge of information and the process surrounding requests to purchase prior service and/or military service.
- Knowledge of Benefits records management process and procedures.
- Knowledge of
imaging systems to retrieve retiree data.
- Knowledge of tools required to perform Member Services functions, including:
- Photocopy machines; fax machines, image processors, and ancillary fulfillment equipment.
- Personal computers and
Microsoft office products.
- Intermediate arithmetic, using a calculator or Excel.
- Cannon scanner processing and Kofax Capture data functions.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (both oral and
- Willingness to work as a part of a team.
- Organization and coordination skills.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Takes ownership for the member experience, ensuring it is both
positive and productive.
- Displays a commitment to ensure ongoing knowledge of processes and procedures required for the job.
- Works well under pressure and in a rapidly changing environment.
- Consults with appropriate staff from all
levels within the department to effectively address a member’s inquiry.
- Effectively communicates the specifics of each Plan for the various group covered by DCRB.
- Effectively communicates
how benefits, withdrawals, rollovers, and disbursements are processed for our Members.
- Regularly initiates communication to the Member Services Lead and/or Manager about information and ideas to improve Member Services processes, based on
interaction with our members.
- Protects member privacy and confidentiality by consistently maintaining full compliance with all DCRB regulations.
- Resolves customers' problems and to demonstrate patience and remain courteous when faced
with difficult or angry callers.
- Resolve diverse intermediate to complex member problems/questions related to any aspect of a member’s retirement (eligibility, plan provisions, internal
processes, compliance, etc.) typically governed by established practice or department precedent, but in some cases discretion may need to be applied.
- Employ discretion and independent judgment to ensure compliance with Plan provision and customer
service best practices. Decisions made may have both member and department-wide impacts.
- Assist Lead and/or Manager in establishing and implementing changes to the Member Services processes that require
- Associate’s degree or equivalent (Bachelor’s preferred), with at least three years of experience working in an office and call center environment; or
- A minimum of five
years of specialized experience that provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- Normal office environment
- Work schedule 8:30 am
– 5:00 pm
- Primarily working at a desk with a computer terminal and keyboard, filing in numeric and alphabetic data.
- The telephone and email are used as the primary means of communicating with members. Assignment at the front-desk will
require face-to-face interactions.
COMPENSATION LEVEL: DCRB Grade 03
This job description indicates the general nature and level of
work being performed by employees in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all tasks, duties, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a completed DC2000 Employment Application form, letter of interest discussing eligibility and qualifications, and resume. The DC2000 Employment Application is available as a fillable file document on the “Working at
DCRB” page on DCRB’s website. You may view the page here: http://dcrb.dc.gov/service/working-dcrb
All educational and experience requirements used to determine eligibility
for this position must be officially verified at the time of appointment. No offer of employment will be deemed fulfilled without such verification(s).
WHERE TO APPLY:
Via Facsimile: (202) 343-3302, ATTN: HR Director
NOTE: It is imperative that all information on the DC2000, resume and supporting documents be both
accurate and truthful and is subject to verification. Misrepresentations of any kind may be grounds for disqualification for this position or termination.
This ad has been viewed 879 times.
It expires on 10/15/2018.