View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Why work at Definiti? If you consider yourself a problem solver and appreciate working autonomously, a career at Definiti may be perfect for you. You’ll be able to directly contribute to the security and success of meaningful retirements for
thousands while helping build a growing company. Most positions are fully remote, which provides work-life balance while working with, and for, your colleagues and clients. Definiti not only invests in the tools and retirement service technology to help
you be successful in your role, but also supports your professional growth with training and certifications.
Definiti is a national retirement services company that helps clients manage and administer their retirement plans. We help clients define
what's possible and what’s next for their retirement plans.
Purpose of position
The ERISA Attorney serves as Definiti’s internal expert on ERISA law, serving as the
‘go-to’ resource for questions regarding retirement plan governance, administration, and management. The position requires a pro-active, problem-solving mindset coupled with a strong grounding in the applicable regulatory requirements. The
Attorney is an individual performer, working closely with colleagues in our sales, retirement consulting and document teams to address client needs while managing the Company’s fiduciary and legal risk.
Primary Duties and
- Assist colleagues with complex technical Administration Compliance issues with an emphasis on practical problem solving.
- Consult with IRS and DOL agents on Plan audits for existing or consulting
- Prepare VCP submissions for operational and document failures for existing or consulting clients.
- Review Qualified Domestic Relation Orders to confirm requisite information.
- Cost-effectively engage outside counsel where and
- Educate colleagues regarding regulatory changes and their impact on existing and new retirement plans. Duties will include hosting informal internal forums, presenting at industry and company-hosted events, and working with our marketing
team to draft periodic newsletters.
- Manage the legal department as a profit center, ensuring appropriate billing for services.
- Results-driven and detail-oriented, with a
proactive and problem-solving approach to address issues.
- Able to prioritize and engage in a highly responsive way to inquiries from colleagues and clients.
- A self-starter who’s confident in their knowledge of ERISA law
and their ability to provide sound counsel in a fast-paced environment. Relishes managing multiple priorities as the company continues its national growth strategy.
- Adept at leveraging resources (e.g. ERISApedia, colleagues and their personal
network) to identify the right solutions to sometimes complex questions.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized, creative, tech-savvy, comfortable working in a remote
Education and Qualifications
- JD with a specialty in ERISA, tax, or related fields.
- Five or more years as outside counsel or in-house attorney, with relevant experience working with small
Defined Contribution plans, non-qualified retirement plans (defined benefit & defined contribution), including 409A requirement; and municipal and private sector plans.
- Experience working with Department of Labor and Internal Revenue
Service audits. Must have IRS VCP and PBGC filing experience.
- Well-versed in controlled group and affiliated group issues.
- Exposure to nondiscrimination and coverage testing for traditional, cash balance and DB/DC combo
Remote Working Requirements
As a remote-first company, we have compiled expectations for a successful remote work environment:
- Ability to build rapport with others remotely while working productively
with limited in-person interaction
- Designate a quiet, and well-lit space with a fast internet connection for your workspace, free of as many distractions as possible·
- Be online and available during designated business hours in local
- Accustomed to using Microsoft Teams or virtual-meeting applications to work with colleagues regularly on video and use the chat feature for quick communications
- Accustomed to file-storage and file-sharing tools such as
Microsoft SharePoint and Citrix ShareFile
Definiti has a dynamic, growth-focused culture, and we are committed to offering attractive employee-centric benefits, including:
- A virtual-first work
- 401(k) with up to 4% match
- Generous paid time off starting with four weeks, in addition to 9 paid holidays and 2 paid floating holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- A variety of medical,
dental and vision plan options including Definiti subsidized premiums
- Company-paid life insurance and short-term disability insurance
- Bonus plan eligibility
How to Apply
View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Manage This Listing (employer only)