View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Human Resources Director (Benefits Manager)
Sidwell Friends School
in Washington DC / Hybrid
Reports to: Chief Human Resources & Culture Officer
The Human Resources Director position is responsible for aligning business objectives with staff and management
in designated departments/business units. The position formulates relationships to deliver value-added service to management and staff that reflects the business objectives of the organization. The HR Director maintains an effective level of literacy
across the HR function, including benefits, employment law compliance, compensation, employee relations, recruitment, and training and development.
- This position will have one direct
report, the Human Resources Associate who oversees leave of absence, workers compensation, unemployment, reconciliation of benefits invoices, and other HR related tasks.
Primary HR Responsibilities:
Benefits, Compensation, & HRIS
- Responsible for the administration of group benefits programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, worker's compensation, life insurance,
flexible/health spending accounts, as well as a robust employee wellness program, among a variety of other voluntary benefits). The HR Director supervises and monitors benefits administration and leads all analytical and technical support in the delivery
of the benefit programs, improves existing benefits programs and investigates new benefits programs. Regularly interfaces with external vendors and third party administrators to support the benefits package. Exhibits confidentiality in handling information
that may impact the entire organization and provides leadership in the areas benefit plan compliance, vendor management and evaluation, maintenance of crucial employee data.
- Manage the enrollment, terminations, and contributions under the Health
Savings Accounts with the banks. Work with the Finance team to reconcile the contributions after each funding period.
- Overseas mandatory compliance reporting for Health & Welfare 5500, Retirement Plan 5500 and supporting schedules. Prepares and
submits OSHA 300 Log and Survey of Occupational Injuries & Illnesses. Department of Commerce Economic Census. Prepare and distribute annual Medicare Creditable Coverage Notices; and MLR Rebates. Reviews and ensure compliance in the Affordable Care Act
(ACA) benefit eligibility.
- Serves as Plan Administrator to the School’s two retirement plans (defined contribution plan and tax-deferred annuity plan), with assets in excess of $90M; responsible for accurate record keeping of issuance of
annuity contracts to employees, participates in annual plan review with TIAA team, responds to questions from external plan auditor and ensures compliance with mandatory enrollment provisions stipulated by the DC plan; Plans, schedules and implements
external training for employees on topics related to saving and investing for retirement.
- Manages relationship with retirement plan advisor/co-fiduciary to ensure that investment offerings are performing in an optimal manner. Leads the Retirement
Plan Committee holding quarterly meetings, taking minutes, ensuring representatives are from all areas of the School.
- Leads the administration of the Human Resource Information System (ADP Workforce Now) and overall electronic data management; is
the in-house super user of the HRIS and utilizes technology to support the automation of HR processes. Does data analysis and reporting on the information to ensure data integrity.
- Prepares annual reporting for School Demographics for the
Administrative Council. Enters demographic, salary, and benefits data into NAIS DASL survey.
- Survey industry trends; complete benefit surveys and review results; and forecast trends and assist with future benefit designs.
- Plans and leads
benefits orientation and educational programs for employees.
Additional HR Responsibilities:
HR Business Partner
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching,
counseling, training, career development, disciplinary actions).
- Conducts regular meetings with departments/business units, providing HR guidance when appropriate.
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the HR group to develop
solutions, programs, and policies.
- Manages and resolves employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough, and objective investigations.
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and
increase productivity and retention.
- Assists international employees with expatriate assignments and related HR matters.
- Participates in evaluation and monitoring of training programs to ensure success. Follows up to ensure training
objectives are met.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Keen knowledge, understanding, awareness and judgment regarding the privacy and confidentiality of employment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the
appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of the organization’s hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the administrative
practices related to those factors.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 8 years of experience managing benefits, compensation, and HRIS
- Minimum of 8 years of experience resolving complex employee relations issues.
- Working knowledge of multiple
human resource disciplines, including recruitment, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and federal, state, and local employment laws.
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA, Master’s degree in
Human Resources Management and/or Organizational Development preferred).
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential or ability to obtain certification within one year of
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds at times.
As a condition of employment, all
employees who are employed with the school are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and able to provide proof of such vaccination. To make application for a medical or religious exemption, please contact the human resources
Applicants should upload a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references via our on-line application.
How to Apply
View All Jobs, Sorted by Date
Manage This Listing (employer only)