Retirement Account Administrator, Sr
in Albert Lea MN / Arden Hills MN / Bedford NH / East Lansing MI / Troy MI
Help foster a cohesive service team by directing workflow, supporting strong communication and
displaying good judgment and leadership to ensure the proper administration of all plans. Responsible for client service, compliance and Form 5500 reporting of an assigned group of retirement plans consisting of more complex plans, typically 60-70
plans. Plan assignment may include employee stock ownership plans (ESOP). Is regarded as a technical expert and is a resource to the department for research and resolution of complex issues and regulatory changes.
Number 1: Client Service – 40%
- Proactively manage assigned client relationships to achieve or exceed client service satisfaction and ARB retention standards.
- Develop and maintain
positive working relationships and open lines of communication with internal and external clients.
- Keep Manager/Supervisor informed of sensitive issues and proactively work with Retirement Relationship Manager or Retirement Specialist (RRM/RS) to
retain key clients and assets.
- Involve Manager/Supervisor as needed to resolve technical, service, and compliance issues to ensure client satisfaction without jeopardizing regulatory requirements and service standards.
- Assist in client
feedback efforts and work with RRM/RS to identify and resolve any service issues as well as meet long-term client needs.
- Meet service standards. Proactively notify Manager/Supervisor and client (as appropriate) if standards will not be
- Timely response to internal and external inquiries.
Job Function Number 2: Compliance and Form 5500 Reporting- 40%
- Monitor receipt of client’s census
information to prioritize completion of compliance tests and/or Form 5500 reporting for an assigned set of plans.
- Understand and interpret plan document and contract provisions and apply experience and judgment to situational problem resolution.
Work with Manager/Supervisor and/or RRM if needed.
- If assigned ESOP plans, possess the necessary skills to administer ESOPs which includes an understanding of the valuation process, updating participant records and delivery of the year-end annual
valuation report and participant statements.
- Possess the necessary skills to administer a percentage of more complex defined contribution plans.
- Ensure that appropriate compliance tests are accurate and completed within
- Ensure Form 5500 and Summary Annual Report is accurate and completed within standards.
- Identify changes/amendments needed to documents due to client requests.
- Instruct and provide guidance to co-workers on a variety
of compliance issues and situations.
Job Function Number 3: Leadership and Engagement – 20%
- Actively engage in the success of ARB and Alerus, promoting and supporting new and
ongoing initiatives with positive active team involvement resulting in a successful outcome.
- Participate in projects to improve the products and services offered by ARS, including project groups tasked with developing enhanced procedures or
- Work independently and request that the Manager/Supervisor review work as needed.
- Provide guidance and training to less experienced account administrators.
- Assist in problem resolution as well as developing technical
skills of others.
- Participate in meetings for the company, department and administration unit.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities on a consistent basis.
- Treat all co-workers with professionalism.
- Support and promote
communication within the service team through direct communication, Client Gateway and other available tools as needed in order to build strong internal relationships.
- Actively supports the use of Client Gateway by documenting pertinent
conversations and emails with clients and others as applicable.
- Recognize and celebrate individual/team accomplishments.
- 4+ years experience in complex defined contribution plan administration
such as professional employer organization plans, multiple employer plans, non-qualified plans, cross testing allocations and other unique plan designs.
- Successful completion of ASPPA’s Retirement Plan Fundamentals (RPF) or
- Possess or working towards attaining ASPPA’s QKA certification or equivalent.
- Excellent written/oral communication, organization, and client service skills required.
- Maintain professional working relationships with
internal and external clients.
- Work independently and set priorities.
- Interpret documents and resolve technical problems.
- Available to work overtime to cover peak work loads and other business needs.
- Basic knowledge of
Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities as part of a team.
- Demonstrated relational skills such as diplomacy, judgment, decision making and
- Demonstrated critical thinking abilities.
- Initiative, creativity and energetic active engagement in all work responsibilities.
- Multi-task, prioritize workflow of self and others and coordinate activity as an effective
team member to meet deadlines and make effective decisions under pressure.
- Established communication, presentation and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated professional business skills and demeanor.
- Demonstrated ability to identify
and problem solve complex situations. Apply judgment with respect to high level business impact and risk.
- Proven ability to work with detailed technical knowledge of all types of retirement plans.
Demands: (must be met with or without a reasonable accommodation)
- Requires ability to use sit for long periods of time using a key board, mouse and to view multiple screens.
- Requires ability to use
telephone for client contact and conference calls.
Alerus Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply
Please apply online via our website.
Manage This Listing (employer only)