Counsel - ERISA & CIT Matters
in New York NY / Buffalo NY / Wilmington DE
Job Title: Counsel – Retirement & Institutional Custody Services Attorney for ERISA & CIT Matters
The successful candidate will be located in (i) Buffalo, New York, (ii) New York City, or (iii) Wilmington, Delaware, and will support Wilmington Trust’s Retirement and Institutional Custody Services Division’s retirement
plan services (RPS) and collective investment trust (CIT) businesses.
RPS support includes matters relating to Wilmington Trust’s roles as trustee, custodian, or paying agent, and/or ERISA 3(21) investment advisor or ERISA 3(38) investment
manager for 401(k) and other tax-qualified retirement plans of clients and working with clients on rabbi trusts for funding non-qualified deferred compensation plans and arrangements.
CIT support includes matters relating to eligibility and
investment questions, applications for IRS determination letters of tax-exempt status, securities and commodities law exemptions and state blue sky compliance matters, and negotiation and drafting of agreements with investment sub-advisers, insurance
companies, trading platforms, custodians, transfer agents and administrative service providers for the funds. Also included are supporting Wilmington Trust’s roles as custodian, transfer agent, and administrative service provider for collective
investment funds trusteed by other banks.
The ideal candidate also would be familiar with IRAs and able to support enterprise-wide IRA matters.
- Serving as one of two legal advisers
providing ongoing day-to-day legal advice and support for the RPS and CIT businesses
- Negotiating and drafting customer agreements for services offered by the businesses
- Identifying, evaluating and escalating legal and regulatory risks
affecting the businesses
- Overseeing external counsel used to support the businesses
- Providing legal support for special projects, such as reviewing, rationalizing, and updating template contracts and administrative forms used by the
- Partnering with the organization’s compliance, risk and audit groups on business matters
- Providing legal analysis of new business opportunities and new service offerings
- Developing and implementing strategic
policies and procedures for the legal support of the businesses
- Providing legal support to the businesses for enterprise-wide projects and matters
- Keeping senior management and other personnel up to date on pertinent legal and regulatory
developments, including legal risks
Education and Experience Required:
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- At least four years previous experience as an attorney or other relevant
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience advising financial services firms on ERISA and CIT matters
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities, and
prioritize work in a deadline-intensive environment; experience in leading and facilitating change
- Ability to understand and integrate details of business/operational/systemic environment in applying legal and policy requirements
advising on transactions involving plan assets subject to ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code
- Experience identifying, evaluating and escalating legal risk issues
- Strong communication skills to deal with internal and external constituencies,
including senior business leaders; external counsel; regulatory officials; risk, compliance and audit counterparts at the organization; counterparts at other companies; and industry representatives
- Exceptional written and verbal communications
skills; ability to communicate and relate at all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills and ability to influence through collaboration
- Demonstrated experience in leading others, both through direct relationships
and/or indirectly (influencing without direct authority)
At M&T Bank, we understand what's important when you're considering a career. M&T strives to be the best company our employees ever work
for, the best bank our customers ever do business with, and the best investment our shareholders ever make.
The key features of our culture are our:
- Heritage of strength and stability
- Exceptional and long-tenured
- Focus on long-term client relationships
- Commitment to the communities we serve
- Commitment to our shareholders
When applying for a job at M&T Bank, candidates are required to complete a candidate
If you require an accommodation to create a candidate profile, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
M&T Bank Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
M&T Bank Corporation does not sponsor individuals for the purpose of obtaining H-1 Visas.
M&T Bank Corporation has policies and procedures in place to promote a drug free workplace.
How to Apply
To apply, please use this link.
This ad has been viewed 1367 times.
It expires on 8/27/2019.